Museum Collections Management and Care Distance Education Graduate Certificate Program
The Distance Education Certificate in Museum Collections Management and Care features a sequence of four graduate-level courses designed for those working or volunteering in museums with collections management responsibilities. Students in the program work at a variety of types and sizes of museums in locations all over the country and across the world.
The courses are ideal for museum professionals either lacking prior formal museum studies training or desiring a refresher. Students complete four 3-credit courses, which include:
- Preventive Conservation: Philosophy and Theory (Fall semester)
- Preventive Conservation: Practical Applications (Spring semester)
- Collections Management: Legal and Ethical Issues (Summer semester)
- Collections Management: Practical Applications (Fall semester)
The application deadline for 2013-2014 is August 1, 2013.
Applicants must apply specifically for the Museum Collections Management and Care Certificate (Distance Education).
"This program is invaluable for museum professionals at any stage in their career. GW is making its expert coursework available to those otherwise unable to attend in person. I encourage everyone to take advantage of this unique opportunity."
- Kimberly McCarty, Pensbury Manor, Morrisville, Pennsylvania
“The program set me on a path to success in every aspect of museums operations and focused on issues I faced daily. I have frequently told people that the Museum Collections Graduate Certificate Program was the single most relevant academic program I have ever undertaken.”
- Colonel Robert Dalessandro, Chief of the U.S. Army Center of Military History, Washington, D.C.
"This program is just wonderful for professionals in small to medium-sized museums who have small staffs and budgets. With this program, I was able to continue working and supplement my professional skill set with the highest standard of coursework. Thank you GWU!"
- Lynita Langley-Ware, Faulkner County Museum, Conway, Arkansas
“The Distance Education Program is very flexible and experienced professors help you in understanding every issue. With this program I was able to offer many changes to the museums in my country. It contributed a lot during my volunteering period and helped me in becoming a better professional.”
- Nino Tabeshadze, International Student from Tbilisi, Georgia